This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How does database synchronization work?

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:24 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2016 at 9:27 PM
I use Keepass2Android Password Safe v1.0.0-d in Android 6.

I've noticed whenever I want to unlock a local database file,
that there's a checkbox Work offline which is unchecked by default.

After I type the password and press 'Unlock',
I see momentarily this message Remote file and cache are synchronized.

I've searched in settings and didn't find any relevant entry about synchronization.
There's only the Work offline checkbox (and a Synchronize database one) that appears when you tap the 3-dot icon.

So, my question is this:
provided that I haven't configured any dropbox (or related) sync service to work with Keepass2Android,
nor can I find any sync related settings,
where does my local database file gets uploaded?
Does it remains uploaded infefinetly? What does the "remote file" mean?

I couldn't find any relevant info.
Sep 3, 2016 at 2:04 PM
Edited Sep 3, 2016 at 2:06 PM
As mentioned in a previous post, I'm using the synchronization feature, mostly, successfully. In my case, I have the Dropbox App on my PC, and Androids. One of the settings is to 'point' to where you want to use your file. Mine is in my Dropbox Account, and I've pointed to that location. Hmmmm, must go check that on the tablet! Maybe that's my issue . . .

In your case, and as I just hazarded a guess could be my tablet problem, you are using the default location, with a single device and your app is synchronizing with that default file/location on your device. I'm guessing it's not uploaded anywhere, just resident on your Android. If you are heavily invested in Keepass2android (I have around 150 unique entries), you may wish to change to a 'Cloud' location. If you lose your phone, you lose your saved passwords; with them in the 'Cloud', you can reconnect using Keepas2 for Android, PC or Apple and access your data.

DISCLAIMER - I'm not a Keepass2android Staffer and did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night . . . . <GRIN>

John
Sep 4, 2016 at 4:37 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2016 at 4:37 PM
JayTeesJunk wrote:
In your case, and as I just hazarded a guess could be my tablet problem, you are using the default location, with a single device and your app is synchronizing with that default file/location on your device. I'm guessing it's not uploaded anywhere, just resident on your Android. If you are heavily invested in Keepass2android (I have around 150 unique entries), you may wish to change to a 'Cloud' location. If you lose your phone, you lose your saved passwords; with them in the 'Cloud', you can reconnect using Keepas2 for Android, PC or Apple and access your data.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think so too.
It's just that the Remote file and cache are synchronized message
should be changed into Local file and cache are synchronized, to avoid misunderstanding.