This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

InputStick integration

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Hi Philipp,

I'm using Keepass2Android now for quite a while and I like it a lot. Especially the custom soft keyboard makes it especially interesting. Congrats for making such a nice software!

Now I have a question for you, how high are chances that you integrate InputStick support into Keepass2Android, once the device and API are available?

Generally, InputStick is a device in USB thumb drive format that is paired to an Android phone via Bluetooth. Plugged into a computer it emulates a USB HID to send keyboard strokes. There will be at least a Java API available, of which a sample Hello World program already exists. To me it looks relatively easy to use. For reference, the developer also is working on example programs, such as a Demo Password Manager.
Do you think you could and would want to add that to K2P?

Greetings,

MiniMeOSc
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM
sounds interesting. I have contacted the InputStick developer. When I get an InputStick, I'll try to integrate with it!
May 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Cool, thanks :-).

I have just gotten my InputStick. So once you got yours and get something implemented I can help beta test ;-).
Coordinator
May 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM
I have received one as well. I am currently implementing a plugin architecture and will release an InputStick plugin as one of the first plugins!
May 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM
That sounds awesome and will be the perfect one-way solution I was always looking for. What's your estimate for a plug in release date? Don't want to urge you - am just curious :). Keep up the good work!!
Coordinator
Jun 2, 2014 at 6:30 PM
This feature is implemented in https://keepass2android.codeplex.com/releases/view/122958.
Please test and report if it works for you!
Jun 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM
That's great news :-).

I've given it a try and out of the box it works like a charm. Setting up the plugin was very intuitive to me. The option to choose a keyboard layout was a wise idea. I didn't notice any issues yet, but will keep testing.

Only one thing you did surprised me. Because I use heavily use KeePass's Auto-Type feature on my PC my expectation was you'd also implement it like that. My database has a custom field sequence (I don't like it automatically hitting the Enter key), and some entries even a specialized one, so the information is there... But oh well, separate fields work perfectly fine, too.

I really like your work on this, thanks a lot.
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2014 at 5:56 AM
thanks for the feedback!
KP2A doesn't provide any UI regarding AutoType so I decided to not use it. (Besides not having the UI, AutoType is really complicated to implement for me, it's a very mighty but also complex feature!)
Feb 14, 2016 at 3:35 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2016 at 5:42 PM
Sorry for waking an old issue.

Why is it necessary to have a special USB dongle for Bluetooth Keyboard Support?
If my PC (or Mac for that matter) has a BT dongle (or a built-in BT device), why can't Keepass emulate a BT keyboard on the phone and inject the password when requested?

thanks,
Udi

EDIT:
Here is a project that creates an Android BT Keyboard. Perhaps this can be used (It's GPLv3)
https://code.google.com/archive/p/androhid/

A quick check at github shows 64 clones of this project, but none of them had any meaningful additional commits, just the original commits and perhaps another one updating the README file.