This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

KP2A keyboard appears on Kindle HD, but not new Kindle HDX

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I was asked to switch from "issues" to "discussions" so here goes. I had been using Keepass2android on my Kindle HD and had no issues. When I needed to bring up the KP2A keyboard, I would just
scroll down "notifications" on the Kindle Fire HD, find the KP2A listing, click on it and since Amazon doesn't allow different keyboards, it opened up the "Language" setting under the keyboard settings and the KP2A could be chosen there and worked perfectly.

Recently, I purchased the Kindle Fire HDX, installed Keepass2android, but unlike the Kindle HD, when I pulled down the notifications, and yes, the KP2A choice appeared, when I clicked on it, instead of the "Language "settings appearing under the Keyboard area, which previously allowed me to choose the KP2A keyboard with the OLD Kindle Fire HD, I now get a brief message stating to choose the KP2A keyboard in the Keyboard settings of the Kindle. Since Amazon does NOT have a listing to choose a different Keyboard AND Keepass2android no longer lists the KP2A keyboard under the "Language" settings, I can NOT choose the KP2A keyboard and therefore that option is not available.

If anyone has any ideas to allow me to chose the KP2A keyboard on the NEW Kindle Fire HDX, it would be much appreciated. Since the Kindle isn't as widely used as Android phones or other tablets, I'm not expecting a rewrite of Keepass2android to allow this function in the Kindle Fire HDX.

Thank You!
Coordinator
Nov 19, 2013 at 5:46 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a Kindle (neither HD nor HDX) so it's hard for me to give any advice. (How) can you switch to any other keyboard like Swiftkey?
Nov 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Edited Nov 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM
That's the problem Kindle owners face, they can't switch keyboards or use an app such as swiftkey. Amazon has basically a locked down environment. Some non amazon apps can be side loaded (which is how I had to install Keepass2Android), but others even when sideloaded don't work at all or lose functionality. Under the Kindle HD, I was surprised see the keepass2android keyboard option appear under the language settings, but code must have changed with the Kindle hdx because you don't get the same option appearing under that setting or any other.
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2013 at 1:35 AM
hmm, sounds like there's nothing I could do about it then. Sorry!
Dec 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Phillip,
I just installed the new version 9.2 r3 of Keepass2Android on my Kindle Fire HDX and now your keyboard option appears!
I don't know what was tweaked, but Keepass2Android is working perfectly on the Kindle Fire HDX AND allowing
the Kindle to choose a different keyboard for use other then the Amazon keyboards! I think your on to something because Amazon,
as far as I have been able to learn, does NOT allow the installation of other keyboards! Keepass2Android is working PERFECTLY
on Amazon's new line of Kindle Fire HDX and I couldn't be happier to be able to use your excellent program again!
Enjoy the Holidays!
Dec 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM
OPPS

Well, I've been playing around a little more with keepass2android and the Kindle fire Hdx and have noticed, yes the keepass2Android
keyboard does come up as an option now under "languages" but there is a bug. When your on a website that is requesting a username and password and choose "share" the option does come up to use the keepass2andoid program, HOWEVER, when you actually click to use the keepass2android program, it may take two or three tries before the actual box allowing you to choose the keypass2android KEYBOARD over say, the English keyboard appears. You will get a quick flash of the choices, but then it dissappears. If you click "share" again and choose the keepass2android program, usually by the second or third time the option
to choose the keepass2android keyboard stays fixed so you can make your choice. Not complaining in the least! At least with two or three tries you get the functionality
of keepass2android on an Amazon tablet. Having a choice of a different keyboard on the Kindle Fire HDX is more then any other programmer
has been able to do.
Dec 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Also have noticed if I scroll down and use the notification option to choose the Kp2a keyboard on the Kindle Hdx, it works without a hitch (so far) over the other option of going to Menu/share, choosing Kp2a program and hoping the keyboard option stays fixed so I could choose Kp2a keyboard.