This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Feature suggestion: Password strength analysis and report

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:08 PM
I was wondering if you'd be interested in adding a report for overall password strength.
  1. Score for password strength for each password
  2. Report number of passwords that are the same or too similar to each other, easily guessed from eachother. The report includes a summary, identifies risks, and recommend changes.
  3. If one could add a risk level tag to each item, you could check that critical items are different enough from non critical items.
I am sure you have other and better ideas, but the gist is:
A password strength report across all items that helps naive users better strategize around a good portfolio of passwords across their various uses.
Sep 27, 2016 at 4:47 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2016 at 4:48 PM
I doubt that a "password strength analysis and report" is a good thing to add to a password safe because password strength is a highly subjective and changing topic. Company policies differ, website policies differ and because cracking strategies advance (take a look at e.g. hashcat) the only certainty is that your password policy needs to advance too.
Sep 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2016 at 1:01 PM
I think you are missing the point. Most people use the same one or few passwords for most of their needs. They come to use this app to avoid that habit. So let them know how well they are avoiding that.
My suggestion is not about passwords strength. It's about similar passwords and about the use of weak passwords repeatedly. Should be very simple to implement and see how many times people attempt to use it.