This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Plugin - Retrieve list of all entry names

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM
I'm interested in building a plugin that would communicate with an Android Wear app to search and display credentials.

As the user would not be able to type the entry to search in the watch app (except if by voice), I would like to display a list with all entry names for selection (ideally organized by group).

Is there a way to retrieve the entry names using the plugin SDK?
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2016 at 1:47 AM
currently this goes beyond what's possible for plugins. It seems like this is more a request to make it possible to build a complete new UI, correct? Because showing entry names is certainly only the first step. Do you have a prototype or some screenshots of how the full app should look like and what it's capable of?
Mar 9, 2016 at 6:46 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2016 at 7:10 PM
Firstly thanks for the great job in Keepass2Android and its plugin architecture, it is awesome! :-)

I do not intend to build a complete UI as this would not be practical in a smartwatch context, especially for data input. I just wanted to create a simple read-only UI for Android Wear that would allow me to quickly retrieve my passwords without reaching to my phone (for instance, if I forget a password when on the ATM line or something like that).

So far I came up with this:

Pressing the mic button the user can say an entry name, then the plugin running on the phone retrieves the credentials from KP2A and shows them on the watch in a scrollable screen like above. However I currently see two issues:

1) In my experience using voice search produces too many false matches, and sometimes multiple entries are found and I need to reach to the phone to select the correct one. Besides, not everyone feels comfortable talking to the watch ;-) This could be solved if the plugin could retrieve the list of entry names (and group names) for selection.

2) The plugin can only retrieve passwords while the database is unlocked, so unless the user leaves it permanently unlocked (obviously a very bad idea), chances are it will be locked when he needs to search for something, forcing him to to unlock on the phone first, what defeats the purpose of the watch app. Perhaps this could be solved if the plugin could send the quick unlock code to KP2A as part of the search request. In this case the watch app could have a small numeric so the user could input just the 3 numbers to quick unlock.

Do you think any of those would be feasible in a future release (especially 2)? Thanks!