This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

high memory usage

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Edited Mar 24, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Short and simple question: why does K2A use 60MB-100MB while running in the background when my database is only ~100KB in size?
I don't see why this app should use so much memory, the interface isn't bloated with images or effects.

Device: LG Nexus 5
Database: keepass 2.* loaded from dropbox folder with composite password (master password+keyfile)

edit: the author replied to a message on the Play store and sent me here. While the explanation does make sense, 13MB is still a far cry from the 60MB-100MB it's using.
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM
let's try to discuss this issues at one place (here). So my questions from the Issue were: which tool did you use to monitor memory usage? Did you use the app between these two measurements?
Mar 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM
I used the default running services view in the settings menu of android 4.4.2
settings > apps > running apps
My device is not rooted so custom task managers don't do much.

I did use the app to enter a password once between those. Now, when I close the database, exit k2a and re-open the mem usage is at ~97MB straight away.
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2014 at 4:29 AM
this is interesting: when I do this on my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.3), it shows 29MB. When I do this on my Nexus 7 (currently ART enabled for testing) it says 49MB.

When I was pointing to the apk I wanted to note that all these libraries must be loaded to memory. In the apk they are compressed, when loaded to memory they are uncompressed. Nevertheless, this is certainly not 100MB.

I have read http://docs.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/application_fundamentals/memory_perf_best_practices/ but cannot find something that I am violating, I have voted for http://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/144858-xamarin-product-suggestions/suggestions/3229534-add-memory-and-performance-profiler to see more clearly what's happening.

What device are you running? Are you sure the app was closed after exiting? (No more shown with any mem usage)?
Mar 29, 2014 at 10:01 PM
I've mentioned my device in my first post; LG Nexus 5.

After closing the app -> emptying the cached version of the app and re-opening it, it reports 67MB after searching one entry and quicklocking the database agian.

It's not like this is causing a direct problem for me, 2GB RAM on a phone isn't filled that easily. But still I was curious why it consumes so much, even more than Avast or Malwarebytes.... apps that have to load/do a lot more than just an encrypted 'database' of 100KB. People with older phones with 768MB RAM could notice the heavy RAM use more though.