Nexus 5 - password + keyfile does not work

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Hi,
I just got a new Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.2 on it. I'm trying to load a Keepass 2.2 kdbx db from Skydrive with Password+Key but I get a message saying "Composite Key is invalid"

One odd thing I notice is that when I browse for the key file (again using skydrive) after I select the key file the text box is still blank and says (optional) greyed out. Not sure if that's always how it is since I haven't used this app before.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Feb 6, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Ok, just played around a bit and figured it out.
When you browse for the kdbx file, the app gives you the list of "storage types" which includes SkyDrive as well as "Get from third party app" which will allow you to get it from the SkyDrive app (if installed). Here I had chosen the SkyDrive option instead of via 3rd party.

Now when you browse for the key file, it doesn't give you the native SkyDrive option, it does allow you to choose the SkyDrive app. This bit is broken - it doesn't work when loading the file via the 3rd party (this holds for the kdbx too).

To work around it I downloaded the key file to the phone and used that instead. All good now :)

Great app btw
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2014 at 3:56 AM
I deliberately do not display all storage options because you should not have your keyfile next to your kdbx in the cloud! Who ever has access to your kdbx will also have access to the key file, so there is no sense in that key file anymore, right?
I'd suggest you create a new key file and copy that manually. Then you can use the Local file option and it's all fine.
Feb 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Thanks for the reply Philip, that certainly makes sense... I think I'm going to create a new db without the key file I don't want to have to manage the key file separately where I'll most likely lose it.
Feb 16, 2014 at 4:20 PM
I've encountered what I think is a variant of this problem.

What I'm trying to do is host my database on Dropbox, a key file on Drive, and also have a master password. So I don't have the database and key file side by side in the same cloud, but it's a little easier for me to sync than manual copying.

Anyway, I can open the database file from dropbox fine, but it won't accept the key file.

When selecting the key file, I pick Drive, select my account (I have three on this device), navigate to the key file, and select it. The key file box then becomes populated with a string like the following:

/documents/acc=1;doc=2342

Hitting OK results in the error message "Key file does not exist".

This happens on both a Nexus 5, and a Nexus 7, running 4.4.2.
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM
This sounds like a more valid usecase. I'll create an issue for this.
Jul 7, 2014 at 7:43 AM
I have the same problem as listed above /documents/acc=1;doc=. when trying to access the file on google drive
I saved the file locally to my phone but navigating to it does nothing, and typing the path /storage/emulated etc. , it appears to start working and I get a remote file and cache are synchronized, and then an error saying the composite key is invalid.
Is there a solution to this yet? I'm also on a Nexus 5
Dec 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM
I also use a Master Password and Key file combination. The key file is valid as the database opens on windows with the key file and master password.

On Nexus 5 with the Google Drive option it failed, so downloaded the key file onto my phone in Downloads folder. The file path is not visible after adding it. and it gives error

"Än Error has occurred The composite key is invalid
Make sure the composite key is correct and try again"

Any ideas to fix this.
Dec 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Added the file using the File Explorer and it has worked.

Point to note is that if the file is selected from the folders shown on the menu, it fails and just shows 'Key file (optional)'

Thanks.
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2014 at 3:56 AM
sorry for the trouble. This should be fixed in 0.9.5 (available in Beta channel since a few days and officially released during the next days).