Source code minimum Xamarin requirement?

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM
I am a C# developer, and was considering setting up a dev environment for Keepass2Android to play about with it, and potentially offer contributions, however it looks like Xamarin might have priced this out of consideration.

I assume that the free Xamarin Starter would not be sufficient to compile Keepass2Android, given the 32k restriction?

Is the minimum requirement for the sourcecode therefore Xamarin Indie, or does the code use functionality available only in Xamarin Business?

Or am I missing something else, and is there actually some other way to compile Keepass2Android without spending hundreds of dollars on it?

Regards,

Alex
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Hi,
I'd really be happy to receive contributions!

When I started to develop KP2A, I used a previous version of Mono for Android which didn't have the size restriction (but apps could only be run on the emulator). For distribution, I purchased a business licence (not that expensive with academic discount). So I can't even tell if the Indie licence can be used.

I am going to contact Xamarin about this - I hope they can somehow support an Open Source project like Kp2a!

Philipp
Jun 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Hi, thanks for that. Would it still run using the previous version of Mono for Android, if that's available anywhere, then? I would be OK with only being able to run it in an emulator - obviously not an ideal way to test, but probably good enough.

Academic pricing seems to be $99, which is far more reasonable, however I unfortunately don't qualify for this.

Alex
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM
yes, I'm pretty sure it should still work with the previous version. I haven't changed/added any major parts since I upgraded. I hope Xamarin has a solution...
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Well, at least they're really fast :-)
I didn't remember the name of the previous IDE version, it was MonoDevelop. You can get it from http://monodevelop.com/Download.
Jun 13, 2013 at 7:09 AM
It was worth a try, but MonoDevelop (even the older versions) all say that they require the Mono for Android addin, and Xamarin seem to have been quite diligent in scrubbing any older versions of that. Everywhere just eventually points back to http://android.xamarin.com/ which is their main page for selling the new version.

Thanks anyway,

Alex
Jun 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
For anyone finding this thread and also interested in Keepass2Android development, following further discussion with PhilippC and an email request to Xamarin support, I have now managed to obtain an old version (Mono for Android 4.4.55 on MonoDevelop 3.0.6). This version is capable of compiling Keepass2Android source code, and running it in an emulator.

Alex